About Me

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
I don't endorse any brands for money. I am just genuinely passionate about products that work well and are worth investing on. I was inspired to blog because I have found so many advice and tips that have helped me greatly through reading blogs. Now it is my time to give back by sharing my secrets and great finds :D. I hope it helps you too :)

Thursday, 23 May 2013

Skin care essentials: Colloidal Oatmeal moisturiser

What is Colloidal Oatmeal?
Colloidal Oatmeal is crushed oatmeal into a fine powder.
Why Colloidal Oatmeal? 
  • It's natural-Great for sensitive skin. I find natural products absorb deeper into the skin.
  • It has cleansing properties-It is an acne preventative. I find on days that I am lazy and do not moisturize that I have breakouts.
  • It moisturizes-It is a great skin barrier, keeping moisture in all the layers of the skin, not just the surface. 
Finally, the two main reasons why I choose Colloidal Oatmeal over other eczema products:
  • It has anti-inflammatory properties-It calms the skin down. You'll find that any symptoms of stinging, burning and/or itching will disappear after applying it to the affected area. Products with this property is a rare find and I have yet to find another ingredient that is effective as this.
  • It has antihistaminic properties-Once again another rare property. Recent studies have suggested that Colloidal Oatmeal has the property to make your skin less sensitive (less likely to react to other products yay!). This means that it's great for not just treating but also preventing eczema.
I am a firm believer in the fact that you don't have to spend a lot of dollars in order to find great working products and this is one of them. In Australia we are fortunate to have an affordable brand dedicated to Colloidal Oatmeal products called  Dermaveen. I LOVE their moisturizing lotion! I hope this brand becomes more well known so it could be distributed around the world for everyone to try. It has been around for a while now but it is definitely not receiving the acknowledgement it deserves because of other commercial brands. 


Pros:
  • It is PH balanced
  • Ideal for all over body use
  • Can be used for infants, children and adults
  • Won't clog pores-I also use it as a day and night facial moisturizer. This is my main use for this product hence why I classify it as affordable.
  • Has a pump-makes it easy to use
Cons:
  • It takes a little while to rub on. Since colloidal oatmeal is powdery you do need to rub in circles to get the powdery look to disappear. It's such a minor issue since you're getting so many benefits.
Uses:
My main use for this product is a day and night facial moisturizer. It absorbs great on the skin and I use it in combination with tea tree oil to prevent acne (check out my cabinet essentials post).
Since I have minor eczema in my hands, I use it as a hand moisturizer and if needed. I  also use it as a body moisturizer.
This is a true all rounder skin care product. Since I use it as a facial moisturizer and as a body moisturizer  there is not one day where I'm not using it.  
I had recommended this product to my brother who has moderate to severe eczema. He was at first hesitant because he has trusted using QV for 10 years but has never looked back since using this product. He suffers extreme flare-ups and finds that Dermaveen has been the best non-prescription/non-cortisone product to control them.

Purchasing this product:
I buy the 1 Litre moisturizing lotion which can be purchased at pharmacies (most economical size). It retails for around $25 dollars. Now before you start complaining about the price, you have to remember that I am using this product as both a day and night facial moisturizer. I have tried facial moisturizers from high end brands which costs around $40-$60 for 50ml of product and still not get the same results as good as this one. This is a fraction of the price and it actually works.

Those of you who aren't as fortunate to get your hands on this product because you are from overseas, there is another commercial brand which focuses on Colloidal Oatmeal products: Johnson and Johnson's Aveeno products. I find that it has less colloidal oatmeal than Dermaveen, but it's still a good product overall. 





No comments:

Post a Comment